Friday, July 23, 2010

Culture: Local, Regional, and Universal

There's an old rag, "Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you. If not, you don't want to embarrass him." Everybody knows where I'm from and even this past week it was pointed out that, as a Texan, it puts me at a disadvantage to understand my parishioners because I'm two degrees removed from them: (1) I'm not from the Middle-Eastern culture, and (2) I'm not a Michigander. My assumptions and way of speaking is not immediately understood by them, and theirs is not immediately understood by me. That's a pretty fair comment I think. I have often said to any one who would listen that in assigning clergy, it is important to remember that the United States is not a homogenous culture. It is actually quite regional. We should expect that. Keep in mind that Texas is the size of France, which is known to have a distinct culture.

Why should I bring this up in relation to the Church? Because it is easily assumed that Christianity has only one culture, or that it should only have a singular culture. This is not quite the same thing as phyletism but it can certainly be one of its assumptions (phyletism is the heresy which holds that one's own ethnicity or culture is superior to all others and acts to suppress or subvert other cultures--without action it is only bigotry). I would like to suggest that Christian culture must be seen as a parallel to ecclesiological order. It is unavoidable. Remember Christ became a very specific human being, in a specific historic time, with a specific culture. If we are real human beings, we will have a real culture that is ours and this will impact the life of the Church.

So how do we begin to make heads or tails out of this, and what is the core of Christian culture? Christian culture exists on a local level, a regional level and a universal level (this should sound familiar to the Ravenna Agreement), but it works slightly differently than ecclesiological authority which operates through the Eucharist and is therefore complete locally as well as universally. In Christian culture the common general elements are found in the universal level and then become more specific as one moves down to the local level.

At the universal Christian level are such things as the Sacraments which must be held, the Scriptures, the writings of the Fathers of the Church, etc. These are not just simple and general, but there are some specific things here that cannot be cast off. For example the basic shape of the Eucharist is part of the universal culture of the Church. It begins with preparation, hymns, readings from the Scriptures one always being taken from one of the four the Gospels another usually from one of the Epistles, or in some cases from the Old Testament. There is always the offering of the gifts of wheat bread and real wine from grapes. The consecration of the gifts into the Body and Blood of Christ which include the words of Christ (except in one ancient liturgy) and often an invocation of the Holy Spirit (although not universal in the ancient liturgies). There are the communions and a dismissal.

This is the universal shape which can be recognized in all Eucharistic liturgies around the world. The exact words used and the ceremonials which attended the Eucharistic liturgies were made specific on the regional level. At one time there were a great number of various liturgies (or rites) and now there are relatively few. It is common to speak of two major ritual families: the Eastern and the Western, both of which have several variants. For example in the Western there is the Roman, Gallican (French), Mozarabic (Spanish), and Ambrosian (Milanese) Rites. By far the most common of these Latin Rites is the Roman. But it had local variations too such that, if one is aware of the details, one can tell the difference between English customs and German ones.

This is quite important really because it allows the local culture to take both the universal and regional and make them real in a profoundly personal and obedient manner. It reinforces the Gospel itself and the real personality of those around the altar. When a local culture takes the universal and regional, digests it, interiorizes it and embraces it, it gives it back in a marvelously new manner. The local temperament is expressed and understood.

This historical organic life can be challenged and upset in places like the United States which has been characterized both by immigration and migration. Regional religious culture can undone when a large group from another region immigrate. It can also upset things when local character is not understood or is undervalued. The United States is essentially an English culture with some modification. Its cultural roots and biases are English. Its laws are English, both civil and common law (except from Louisiana which has a mix of English and French law). Her religious life was also formed with an English temperament. That's unavoidable since the Church of England was the established Church in most of the early colonies.

With immigration from Eastern Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean there has been a large influx of a different regional culture. It is still Christian culture for it holds to the universal pattern as established in the early Church and the Scriptures, but it has as its base a different set of assumptions and resolutions. It's world view is different. Even here the local variations can create tension (i.e., between the Greeks and the Russians, etc.).

But what happens when the later regional mind comes into immediate contact with an established regional culture? They don't seem to mix and create something new. They tend to polarize against one another. They also insist on the conformity of any "converts" into their own regional culture. In the long run the later culture dies--unless it has an incredibly large number--because by the third generation many of its children are gone. The only hope for a long lasting second culture, is that it and not the founding culture adapt to new circumstances. This is true because all of the externals of the civilization and locality are all ready set and are not up for grabs. If this doesn't happen, then the new group becomes increasingly disconnected with the real needs and concerns of those around, becoming nothing more than ethnic enclaves and ghettos with no real formative power.

This is what I think is under the hood of the experience of Orthodoxy in this country. Its culture has been strongly established within its Byzantine history (partly because of the abuse of the Ottoman Turks and the Communists) and is so rigid as to be set in stone. Recovering a "more Orthodox" mind is done by becoming more Greek or whatever. The monasteries of Fr. Ephraim spring to mind. But in parishes there is a disconnect. Children go to the Episcopal Church, or the Roman Catholic Church or whatever and it is not seen as a problem to many families. The children cannot connect to the attendant culture of the parent's parish because the world they live in is not the old country. The local life they have cannot support the local manifestations of a village ten-thousand miles away.

I have already written about the tragedy of people giving up their own culture to adopt a new one. They don't become something new, they only really are able to reject what they are and thereby become nothing, "a man without a country," without a father and mother.

The culture of the United States can only find its real ultimate cultural life in the old Latin Mass. English culture ultimately springs from this as does all of European culture. There are so many unconscious connections to this regional liturgical life in our culture that it would be impossible to list them all. But they are still present in an intuitive sense. Even if we can't quite put our finger on it, we know that there should be something there. It is here that the regional and local cultures must once again begin to live. Authentic life demands it. Sanity demands it. A healthy integrated life demands it. Oremus. (Let us pray.)

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the USA (and CSA) are 90%+ derived from Latin Roman Catholic heritage. Anglican, Lutheran and Protestants of every stripe come out of the Latin Roman West. English, French, Spanish and late comer Italian.
    I grew up a Cultural Submarine Christian ( we surfaced in church once a year-Easter) so I had no dog in this hunt and could fit in pretty much everywhere religiously speaking. Even after accepting Byzantine Catholic, Orthodox religious expression, I still find myself yearning for a Latin Orthodox Catholic spiritual expression. It's very confusing. Maybe one day I'll be in a happy place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to ask: you are a Pastor/Priest of an Eastern Orthodox Church,right? You are a former Episcopalian/Anglican, right? So, do you have a Western Rite Mission on the side? It's not impossible, Father Anthony Nelson (ROCOR) does both in Oklahoma City. Just thinking.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew-
    I hope you find a less confusing happy place! Yes, I am a priest of an ER Orthodox parish and a former Anglo-Catholic (we didn't even call ourselves that, we just said Catholic). I don't have a WR parish on the side. I have thought of that. I have even tried to ascertain if there might be some real interest--and there is. But I don't think it is a good arrangement for a priest to have two parishes of different Rites that he has to care for, especially if one is a mission. Missions take an enormous amount of concentration and work. They are much more demanding than parishes in reality. Then the parish feels short changed in the process creating great difficulties. Finally, unless the mission can support a priest it's not ready for prime time but could be forced into it when the parish balks. That or close its doors. It may work for Fr. Nelson, but I'm not sure that I would want to go that way.

    The other problem that I see is that I would not want to establish anything unless it can be established permanently. Missions take a great deal of zeal, focus and money to establish and build into parishes. What if the WR is dropped from the Archdiocese? I can't imagine the anger and resentment. I just can't do that to any one because prayer demands more stability than that.

    Our personal cultures are more intimate to our lives than we usually think. They give our lives a particular rhythm and language. When we abruptly adopt something that is foreign to that intrinsic one, we end with arrhythmia instead of a life of integrity. At least that's what I find in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fr John,

    I have been reading your blog, and I can tell that this has a great personal component for you. My question/comment is, what does that mean for those of us without a strong cultural tie to the Western tradition?

    This being West Michigan, many people are Dutch Calvinists, whose ancestors have not participated in the Western High Church tradition for centuries. Many would actually feel extremely uncomfortable sitting in a WR mass, even if they knew in their minds that it is their heritage (albeit a half-millennium removed). In other words, Western and Eastern rites are both equally foreign to Protestants growing up in Jonathan Edwards white-walled chapels, and for that matter, rock-and-roll coffeehouse megachurches too.

    However, for some people, the Eastern tradition is "un-Catholic" enough that it's possible to enter the Church through the Eastern gate without severe struggles with anti-liturgical baggage. I am still surprised by how easily I adapted to life in the [Eastern] Orthodox Church, while I have a hard time with Western liturgy.

    Of course, none of that should be license for phyletism or hatred of one's Western roots, nor should it lead to saying "X culture are the true Orthodox". All I am saying is that, given how convoluted things such as family history can be in a melting pot like America, as well as the continuing effects of the Radical Reformation, I think for many people it may be too simple to say "Your last name is Western European, so you ideally should worship using the Latin mass."

    I can say that, having gone to both my first Mass and my first Divine Liturgy around the same time, I was immediately more comfortable in the Divine Liturgy. Perhaps the reasons for that are not good, and maybe I should just get over my discomfort with Western liturgy, but I confess I would rather get to work on my salvation where I feel most comfortable than force myself into a cultural box based on my family name.

    I think that, so long as we all respect the place to which we go, and so long as it's all Orthodox anyway, we should rejoice that we are part of the Church, even if we do the externals a little differently. If that means some Germans go to Eastern rite parishes and some Syrians go to Western rite parishes, I think they should go and thrive where they feel most at home, and avoid contention over "small-t traditions".

    (That said, I do hope the WR continues, as there are many Episcopalians struggling with the implosion of their communion, who need the Church to throw them a lifeline. I think this is exactly what St John of San Francisco had in mind when he called for an expansion of Western liturgy.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father John I appreciate what you are doing with this blog and I really appreciate what you just said above, Anonymous. I am coming from the protestant Midwest and evangelical para-church organizations (like Youth for Christ) into the ancient, historical faith.

    At this point I am in awe of all traditional worship forms. I can't get enough of any of it, the worship, the prayer life, the physicality of the faith, the reality of the sacraments... all of it is wonderful to me right now.

    I love the Byzantine rite because that is the first ancient mode of worship I was introduced to. However, I'm not sure that any of the western-rite liturgies would be any less foreign to me, a protestant raised on contemporary gospel/folk/rock/blues/funk worship music and simple non-sacramental, sermon focused liturgies.

    I just love everything I've encountered in historical worship at my local Parish (thanks Father John) and that just happens to be Eastern.

    What excites me about this blog and the movement (dare we say wind of the Spirit blowing) in the Church is there seems to more acceptance of others cultures here. I am especially sensitive to phyletism as I married into the Dutch Reformed tradition and there is some of that going on there. My wife's family have been very loving and even almost supportive of my becoming "Catholic", it matters little to them whether it is Western or Eastern.

    I'm not sure where I'll wind up. I only know I am longing for the historical, mystical, sacramental Church.

    Tomorrow I'm attending mass at the Immaculate Conception Cathedral here in Denver with a friend who grew up nominal Roman Catholic. While growing up Baptist filled up my anti-Roman Catholic baggage to the brim, I am finding that more substantive than the worship/entertainment I find in most protestant parishes today.

    Please pray for me a sinner. And please, all of you keep blogging! This is wonderful and helpful to us lost pilgrims.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous:

    I'm glad you're reading my blog! Yes, this is an important issue. I don't think it's simply a personal issue, but is objectively a very important issue.

    I can understand how it might be true for some to more easily enter into the Eastern Rite because of a Protestant or non-denominational background. But the truth is that the discomfort has little to do with the Western Rite itself and more to do with Romophobia. Many Protestants have been indoctrinated to hate anything to do with Rome and so if it looks like Rome, they get a very uneasy feeling in the pit of their stomach. But I'm convinced that one cannot be a good Orthodox Christian if one carries Romophobia regardless of what Rite one enters. For example, the understanding of the change of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood are typical of both East and West. The fact of a church hierarchy of bishops, priests, and deacons; prayers to Mary; veneration of icons; prescribed fasting rules; incense…

    But I would question the statement that both rites are equally foreign. Everyone who has lived here in the West has heard Gregorian chant, and most everyone here is deeply moved by it spiritually. There are abundant hymns that are loved--even in the Protestant circles--that are cherished and fully Orthodox in content that are even used in the Latin tradition. The sense of anticipation following American Thanksgiving for Christmas is a cultural memory of Advent, which is uniquely Western. Fr. Alexander Schmemann said that only the Western Church developed a truly specific Nativity cycle. The cultural bias of westerners is to get right to the point, and that is one of the salient characteristics of the Latin liturgy. It follows the western mind. The eastern mind is quite different. It is lovely and authentic, but it is not ours as westerners. Regardless of one's subjective neutrality, one is the inheritor of the fuller western life that is found everywhere we turn and which was most beautifully expressed in the Latin Mass. That ought really not to be surprising, because the Mass is the highest point of man's experience and life and therefore it is the highest expression that is possible in any culture. What that culture has been formed by the historic, apostolic Church, then her worship is the pinnacle of our culture and all of our culture is ultimately carried in it. Culturally this is beyond anyone's subjective admirations or comfort.

    I will admit that there will be some who will make the ER their home happily. But I must say that a large number of people with Greek names are Roman Catholics or Lutherans. This is because they have become westerners rather than easterners.

    I'm not speaking of forcing anyone to either Rite. That would be a horrible thing to do. God doesn't even force us to love him or even admit that he is. I'm not sure that working on one's salvation doesn't include some sort of reconciliation with one's broader cultural heritage. We are even called to love our enemies, much less our heritage.

    I'm convinced that if one is truly part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, then one must love all of the Rites of the Church, for they are the worship of God the Holy Trinity. It is not enough to grant them permission to exist. One must support them, pray for them, hope for them, and love them.

    Thanks for reading and joining in on the conversation. I appreciate it enormously!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that we have to be careful; the majority of Americans and Canadians are actually in some manner still part of a liturgical patrimony that derives directly from the Latin rite; this includes Methodists (any quick perusal of their Prayer Book will see that it is that of 1611 Anglican BCP), Anglicans, Lutherans, and the Roman Catholics. I think that there has been a tendency for the non-liturgical Evangelicals to think that they perhaps rule the American roost, but it is simply not true.

    Even considering the above reality, even much of the hymnology amongst more traditional Evangelicals is very much within the ancient Hymnology of the western Church, it is certainly not eastern.

    I remember, in England, meeting a clergyman, now a bishop, who spoke in Greek, celebrated in Greek, was dressed like a Greek priest and declared that he could not understand why any Englishman would have trouble with the eastern tradition because he hadn't! Of course he himself did not realise how very foreign, in a very affected way, we all found him. Recently a very good friend of mine's daughter has become a Buddhist nun, complete with shaved head, begging bowel and saffron robes, she also cannot see why normal English Anglicans would find this strange!

    In the states there had/is a mythology about the conversion of a small number of Evangelicals...the number was small and once again, I will agree with Fr. John, often their reasoning to become more Byzantine than the Byzantines was simply a hold over hatred to what they considered to be Roman. I do not personally believe such attitudes contribute much to the growth of the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good topic Father...Thanks for posting it, as well as the comments. I have 3 questions:

    1)Should we, American converts repent of our romophofia and all just go to Rome?
    2)What is your opinion of Fr. John Mack's move?
    3)Wont the ER churches become more westernized with each passing generation. At St. Nicholas Grand Rapids, probably 10% of the parish understands Arabic and no one under 40 does for sure. We have all kinds of Western Cultural stuff going on...our church school celebrates the weeks of Advent with candles...The western culture seems to westernize the parish members minds more and more with each passing season. The 'old county' mentality is slipping into nostalgic buffoonery and just smiled at like someone crazy uncle....

    ReplyDelete